Sunday, June 29, 2014

Psalm 59-"Praying for Deliverance"



Truth for Truckers” *March 29, 2014* Psalm 59 “Praying for Deliverance”

     The life of a warrior like David is filled with dire dependence on His God.  In (v.1-5) he makes seven pleas to the LORD for deliverance:  1. Deliver me from my enemies O my God
                                             2. Defend me from them that rise up against me
                                             3. Deliver me from the workers of iniquity
                                             4. Save me from bloody men
                                             5. Awake to help me
                                             6. Behold
                                             7. Awake to visit all the heathen

     After making all of these depending upon God statements he describes the conduct of his enemies
(v.6, 7) “They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city. Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, does hear?” In (v.8-10) the LORD’s response is given: “But Thou, O LORD, shall laugh at them; Thou shall have all the heathen in derision. Because of His strength will I wait upon Thee: for God is my defense. The God of my mercy shall prevent me: God shall let me see my desire upon my enemies.”

     David then makes (10) requests (v.11-15) asking the Lord to deal with his enemies:
1.      Slay them not, lest my people forget
2.      Scatter them by Thy power
3.      Bring them down
4.      Let them be taken in their pride
5.      Consume them in wrath
6.      Consume them that they may not be
7.      Let them know that God rules in Jacob unto the ends of the earth
8.      Let them return
9.      Let them make a noise like a dog
1    Let them wander up and down for meat, and grudge if they be not satisfied

     David’s two verse closing is a beautiful song of praise recognizing God’s power, mercy Who is David’s defense, refuge and strength. Three times David promises to sing these praises unto God which is his way of worshipping the Lord. And so it should be with us, regardless of our singing talent, He wants to hear our voices in musical praise to His holy name! Praise the Lord Jesus for what He has done for us!!

Chaplain LEWolfe  www.btmi.org I-85 Exit 35 SC  McPilot  Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!


No comments:

Post a Comment