“Truth for Truckers” *March 19, 2014* Psalm 49 “Don’t Trust in the World's Riches”
Because of the great importance of what the Psalmist has to say he gives a five verse introduction in order to call attention to his main subject. His call extends to the entire population of the known world of that day. Rich and poor alike need to understand this truth for even those who are children of God will put their trust in material wealth instead of what the Scriptures teach from cover to close, the temporal things, those things we can see are not where real wealth exists nor where happiness and satisfaction are found.
Eternal life is only through the Lord Jesus Christ. We cannot buy or work our way into heaven! As Believers we must focus our attention on what we have in Christ since God has “Delivered us from the power of darkness and translated us into the Kingdom of His dear Son.” (Colossians 1:13)
“If ye then be risen with Christ seek those things which are above, where Christ sits at the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above not on things of the earth, for ye are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life shall appear then shall ye also appear with Him in glory.” (Colossians 3:1-4)
A good place to start for Believers who want to discover their wealth in Christ is Ephesians 1-3. There are at least (24) eternal spiritual blessings that the Lord has put into our account listed in these chapters, and in order to completely realize exactly what we have in Christ knowing these blessings will give us the ability to rejoice in the eternal, not the temporal things of this world. This is how we get the victory over the world by not placing our hopes and aspirations in things or wealth that will pass away but setting our affections on things above, the eternal blessings of our so great salvation.
Spiritual Wealth of the Believer (Ephesians 1-3)
1. He hath CHOSEN us in Him (1:3): Selected for Himself, separated from the rest of mankind, picked out from among many. Illustr: Abraham (Gen 12); Demoniac of Gadara (Mark 5); Samaritan Woman at the Well (John 4)-All Gentiles
2. Having PREDESTINATED us (1:5): To appoint from/ beginning, To foreordain, To decide beforehand (Romans 8:29)
3. The ADOPTION of children (1:5): The act of making us His children accomplished by His own will, giving the same relationship as the Israelites (Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:5)
4. He hath made us ACCEPTED in the Beloved (1:6): To make graceful, charming, lovely, agreeable; to compass with blessing, to favor by enduing with grace
5. In Whom we have REDEMPTION through His Blood (1:7): To buy back, ransom, liberate by paying a price He already owned us by creation, but we were sold into the slave market of sin through the transgression of Adam, He then purchased us w/His Blood! (I Corinthians 1:30)
6. The FORGIVENESS of sins (1:7): Released from bondage, imprisonment and given remission of the penalty through the gift of repentance and through faith in His Blood (Luke 24:47; Romans 3:25)
7. Having made KNOWN unto us the mystery of His will (1:9): He has given us the privilege to know the mystery of His will concerning His gathering together in one all things in Christ.
8. We have obtained an INHERITANCE (1:11): A portion allotted and given to the rightful heirs, those who are in Christ are joint-heirs with Him (Romans 8:17)
9. Ye were SEALED with that Holy Spirit of promise (1:13): To stamp permanently as a sign of ownership; To set a seal upon; To mark w/seal for security
10. The REDEMPTION OF THE PURCHASED POSSESSION (!:14): To keep safe, secure, to purchase for oneself and preserve for a future day, The guarantee of glorification/glorified body is given by the indwelling Holy Spirit's presence.
11. To have THE EYES OF OUR UNDERSTANDING ENLIGHTENED (1:18): The spiritual eyes of the heart illumined to experientially know: 1. What is the hope of His calling 2. What the riches of the glory of His inheritance 3. What is the exceeding greatness of His power-Illustration: (II Kings 6:17) Eyes of Elisha's servant opened
12. He hath QUICKENED us (2:5): To be made alive spiritually, to be revived, energized with the life of God
13. He hath MADE US SIT TOGETHER IN HEAVENLY PLACES IN CHRIST JESUS (2:6): Our present position in the eyes of God is in heaven in Christ, just as Christ is in us here on earth, we are in Him in heaven!! (John 15:4)
14. We are His WORKMANSHIP created in Christ Jesus (2:10): His work of art, His poem
(Greek for workmanship)
15. We are MADE NIGH by the Blood of Christ (2:13): To be brought near, to be ushered into the very presence of God before His heavenly throne i.e. ‘The throne of grace’ (Hebrews 4:16)
16. The Lord Jesus Christ is our PEACE (2:14-17): Peace is not the absence of outer turmoil, trial, tribulation, but the presence of inner rest in Christ Jesus (John 16:33). 'The peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus' (Phil 4:7)
17. For through Him we both have ACCESS unto the Father (2:18): The act of bringing someone into the presence of an exalted dignitary or person of power, bringing a peasant into the King's court. 'We have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand' (Rom 5:2) 'In Whom we have boldness and access by the faith of Him w/confidence (Eph 3:12)
18. Now, therefore, ye are...FELLOWCITIZENS (2:19): The reality of possessing citizenship the same as others who were natural born. The Gentiles are brought into the same position as the Jew.
19. Ye also are an HABITATION OF GOD through the Spirit (2:22): To be built together with others to make up the whole, All parts/pieces required to make up the entire Kingdom of God, God’s dwelling place in His saints.
20. That the Gentiles should be FELLOWHEIRS (3:6): To be joint participants in the blessing of the Jews: 'Heirs together of the grace of life' (I Peter 3:7).
21. That the Gentiles should be...PARTAKERS OF THE PROMISES (3:6): To be joint participants of the O.T. promises of the Jews.
22. We take part in God's ETERNAL PURPOSE (3:9-11): God demonstrates to the principalities and powers in heavenly places His wisdom BY THE CHURCH, through Meditation on the Word, Spirit-led Prayer, Preaching of the Word, Witnessing with the Word and Winning of the Lost.
23. We have BOLDNESS, and ACCESS, with CONFIDENCE by the faith of Him (3:12): God gives a Fearless Confidence, Freedom to speak the Word, Courage with Cheerfulness, and a Christ-like Assurance to His children.
24. That He would grant you according to the RICHES OF HIS GLORY (3:16-19): Supernatural Spiritual Strength, The Knowledge of the Indwelling Presence of Christ, Being Rooted and Grounded in THE LOVE, Supernatural Comprehension, to experientially KNOW THE LOVE OF CHRIST, that ye might be filled with all the FULLNESS OF GOD!!
Psalm 49 focuses upon the vanity of thinking that wealth can give temporal happiness or eternal life. Trust in Jesus, He is the answer to our physical and spiritual needs! The Psalmist boldly states: “But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave [hell]: for He shall receive me. Selah. (Psalm 49:15)
Chaplain L.E.Wolfe www.btmi.org I-85 Exit 35 SC McPilot Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!