Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Psalm 27 “Jesus: My Light and My Salvation ”



“Truth  for Truckers” *February 27, 2014* Psalm 27 “Jesus: My Light and My Salvation ”

       One of the most often quoted verses of the Psalms is found here in (v.1) ‘The LORD is my Light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? The immediate New Testament application that comes to mind is the person of the Lord Jesus Christ as He is ‘The True Light which lights every man that comes into the world’ (John 1:9) which is later declared by His own statement: ‘I am the Light of the world, he that believes in me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the Light of life’.
 (John 8:12).

     Secondly, He is ‘My salvation’ which focuses on the very meaning of His name for He, Jesus, which means Jehovah is salvation, is the Savior of the world! So, it is not surprising that this verse is one of the most often quoted verses of the Psalms for it immediately directs our attention to the One Who is spoken of in all of Holy Scripture for ‘Beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself’ (Luke 24:27).

     This focus upon the Lord should always regulate our hearts when we read the Word of God. Yes, in order to receive the blessing we must look for the Lord Jesus Christ in every passage, for He can be found if we seek Him with all our heart! If we do not actively seek His presence we relegate the Bible into becoming just another book of cold hard facts apart from the supernatural working of the Holy Spirit whose ministry is revealing the Lord Jesus Christ and glorifying Him.

     David, then, describes the three progressive assaults on his soul: ‘When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident’ (v.3) The description given includes, individuals, an army, and then an all out conflict, but, his testimony for the Lord shines through as ‘They stumbled and fell...my heart shall not fear...in this will I be confident’ showing his faithful responses to the overwhelming array of those who are attacking him.

     The results are listed in (v.4-6) ‘One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me; He shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.’

     The victory over his attackers is the direct result of his relationship with his LORD which is evident in his desire to be in close communion with Him, in His presence, ‘Looking unto Jesus’ beholding the beauty of the LORD, because he knows that is where his victory is found. Yes, Jesus is our ‘Hiding Place’ and ‘The Rock’ Who is able to keep us from falling and provide us with the victory over our physical and spiritual enemies as we abide in Him, remaining connected to the Vine, the One who abides within us (John 15:4) for ‘Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world’ (Philippians 4:13).

     David, in (v.7-13), gives a group of focused appeals to the LORD: ‘Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When Thou said, Seek ye My face; my heart said unto Thee, thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not Thy face far from me; put not Thy servant away in anger: Thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation. Teach me Thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of my enemies. Deliver me not over unto the will of my enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

     The first four appeals deal with his desire to continue in the LORD’s presence. And then, his focus turns to dealing with his enemies as he asks the LORD for His personal teaching and guidance in order that he will have continued victory against his determined foes. ‘I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.’ (v.13). With this statement David gives the glory to the LORD for providing him with the strength to go on in the midst of the battle that raged about him.

    He closes with three direct admonitions to the believer: ‘Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thy heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. (v.14). The Lord Jesus Christ said in the midst of a passage dealing with persecution of the end time believers: “In your patience possess ye your souls.” (Luke 21:19). The need for waiting on the LORD, knowing ahead of time that he promised to deliver us in time of the enemies attack, is paramount for victory. David knew it, and the Lord Jesus Christ taught it, therefore, we must patiently wait for Him (Psalm 37:4) and His delivering power when experiencing the onslaught of the enemy.

Chaplain L.E.Wolfe  www.btmi.org   I-85 Exit 35 SC  McPilot   Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment