Thursday, June 5, 2014

Psalm 39 “The Measure of My Days”



Truth for Truckers *March 9, 2014* Psalm 39 “The Measure of My Days”

     This Psalm is a prayer which focuses on understanding the nature of man and the time we have on earth. David shows the results of a silent tongue even from speaking good when the wicked were before him in (v.1-3). Then he makes two requests: “LORD, make me to know my end, and the measure of my days; what it is: that I may know how frail I am.”(v.4)

     One powerful preacher of the past was asked if he could know just one thing from God what would it be?  And he answered: “I want to know where I am going to die.” Then, he was asked: “Why do you want to know that very unusual fact?” And he replied: “If I know where I’m going to die…I’ll never go there!”

     But, in this Psalm, David wants to know how and when he will die in order that he might know his own weakness. Then in (v.5-7) he gives his insight: “Behold, Thou has made my days as an hand-breath; and my age is as nothing before Thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah. Surely every man walks in a vain show: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heaps up riches and knows not who shall gather them. And now, Lord, what wait I for? My hope is in Thee.

     His realization of his own weakness and the brevity of his life causes him to immediately call on the Lord to deliver him from all his transgressions. Notice, “Lord” in (v.7) in not in all capital letters as the first “LORD” in (v.4). This time he calls God Adonai, his master, and not Jehovah who is the self-existing one when LORD is in all capital letters. So, David indicates that God is his Lord or master   showing him being dependent under the One who gives him his direction and sustenance for life.

     David makes numerous requests in view of his weakness and recognition of the vanity of man without the Lord and in (v.12) he appeals to the LORD to hear his request: “Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not Thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with Thee and a sojourner as all my fathers were.” This word “stranger” along with “sojourner” paints the picture of one who has no earthly belongings, and is completely disconnected from the affairs of this life as he travels constantly throughout his days without roots or reason to love the world or temporal things, just like David, The Man of War!

     This an accurate and very brief description of how we the born-from-above children of God should view our short existence here on planet earth. Notice what Paul tells his Spiritual son Timothy: “No man that wars entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please Him who has chosen him to be a soldier.” (II Timothy 2:4).

     John underlines this truth: “Love not the world neither the things that are in the world, for if any man love the world the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away and the lust thereof, but he that does the will of God abides forever.” (I John 2:15-17)

     David’s final plea closes this very instructive Psalm for us, Drivers, who also should be Soldiers of the Cross of Christ, having the same attitude and actions concerning the temporal things of this life so that we comply to these very instructive life truths. He asks God to spare him from his weak condition, “That he may recover strength, before I go hence and be no more.”(v.13) David’s dependence on His LORD is on open display throughout this brief, but, very powerful Psalm. This is why he was a man after God’s own heart! So, then, the challenge to us is clear: “Souls for Jesus” must be our battle cry and #1 Priority!

Chaplain L.E.Wolfe www.btmi.org I-85 Exit 35 SC  McPilot  Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!



No comments:

Post a Comment